Thank you for 2015!
As 2015 closes, Postpartum Wellness & Family Counseling would like to extend a huge THANK YOU! Thank you to each of you who have trusted us enough to work with you in a personal capacity. Thank you for being courageous and wise enough to invest in your WHOLE health by attending to your emotional well-being. Caring for yourself in this way has the potential for many great returns on the investment.
THANK YOU to our community and clinical providers for welcoming Postpartum Wellness & Family Counseling in such a way that we have seen a great deal of growth in this first year as a business. It is our mission to collaborate in order to provide the best care possible for those we serve.
Raising awareness and providing education of reproductive and perinatal mental health and suggestions for best practices in our communities is the "bigger picture" endeavor for Postpartum Wellness & Family Counseling. This began when we hosted a film at the Hippodrome back in May, 2015, called the Dark Side of The Full Moon. This was a SOLD OUT showing! A wonderful panel of clinical professionals and community members contributed to a "light bulb" discussion that has ignited a movement towards doing BETTER by perinatal mental health.
Out of the film screening came the creation of the Alachua County Perinatal Mental Health Coalition. This is a group of community stakeholders interested in how we can further raise awareness and educate everyone including professionals and providers about the spectrum and breadth of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders (PMADs). We know that NO community is immune to the statistics we find associated with PMADs. We also know the long-lasting and detrimental effects mental health complications can have, when left untreated, on each person within the household where it exists, as well as the costly effects on the community at large. It is our hope to lessen the effects and prevalence by the efforts of the mission this Coalition serves.
We are excited for continued growth in 2016 here at Postpartum Wellness & Family Counseling! From your feedback, we are planning services for our community that serve the needs you have told us are most important to you. Thank you for being an important part in providing better services for your community!
Here's a preview of what's to come:
- Doula services- The overwhelming majority of you who responded to a survey report having a POSTPARTUM DOULA and all the amazing, nurturing and practical care they offer "WOULD HAVE BEEN" worth your investment. We hope to educate our community (and providers) on the positive outcomes associated with investing in the services of a DOULA- so that we aren't "wishing we had one of those" after the fact. Both during pregnancy/labor and after delivery, doula services are fundamentally very important.
- Postpartum Care Planning- Let's contemplate what resources you have now and what would serve you in more of a seamless and supported transition when baby arrives and LIFE LOOKS DIFFERENT. Even knowing what services our community has if/when you need them is an important way to prepare. Can we lower the statistics and significance of PMADs in our community by greater education and planning for such an important transition? We feel the answer is YES!
- Free community outreach- the Alachua County M.O.M.S. (Moms Offering Moms Support) is peer led and organized to create a welcoming space for all Moms to "refill their cups" and create a support system. Join the group on Facebook here to get involved: https://www.facebook.com/groups/396311940568487/ We hope to train and encourage other interested Moms in supporting each other through all of the complexities Motherhood (all walks of motherhood) can present with the hope to expand to other areas of North Central Florida. Contact Lauren if you are interested (352) 278-2538.
- Fathers- we want to hear from and provide services for the male experience in the reproductive years. We know from countless research studies- and just plain common sense- the experience and emotional well-being of the Father is an integral part of the success of a family. His experience is important also.
- Storytelling- How can we learn from each other and feel connected, while taking power away from stigma that may be present? We can share our story. We want to HEAR FROM YOU about your journey. An ongoing opportunity to share as a "guest blogger" will be extended. (Stay tuned as Lauren steps forward first to share some of her personal story...)
We look forward to working with you in 2016!