Stress and shaken baby syndrome
Many times over we hear something to the effect of: "I could NEVER have imagined how someone would shake a baby until I had one." Can you relate?
Parental stress and shaken baby syndrome often go hand-in-hand. Linking the two is often the amount of crying babies do at certain ages and of course, we can't leave out the sleep disturbances that come with new babies. Add to this any number of other life stressors, lack of resources and feeling out of control. The reproductive years present one of the highest probabilities for stress and emotional health complications.
The results of these factors can be fatal for baby and have long-lasting effects on you and your family. Supporting the adjustment of parents and families is one of THE BEST ways we can invest in our communities.
So what can you do when you find yourself in this situation?
1. FIRST- safety: put baby down in a safe environment or with another adult, if available. Get yourself to a safe place where you can breathe and calm down. Some suggest counting to 10.
2. TALK: talk about the stress and frustration you are feeling with someone you trust RIGHT AWAY. Don't wait.
3. ASK and ALLOW: ask for what you need. Maybe you need someone else to handle (or take turns) that hour (or 4?!) of evening/nighttime crying that baby seems to experience daily right now. Allow yourself to accept offers for a trusted adult to shoulder some of the caregiving.
4. HOTLINE: 1-800-4A-child (1800-422-4453) is a Free, 24/7 and CONFIDENTIAL hotline where trained staff help walk you through these stressful periods to help prevent harming your child.
5. Seek professional support. You are a good Mom/Dad. We know you want to provide the best for your children. In order to do that, you need to take the time to care for your child's parent- YOU! We can connect you with resources that exist in our community.
Please reach out and talk with us to learn more about finding meaningful and lasting relief. We look forward to talking with you. (352) 278-2538